A discussion was sparked in my private pet sitting group about “What Is a Brag Book?” It occurred to me that many may not know so here is an overview.
Benefits of Your Pet Sitting Company Having a Brag Book:
- It helps create the same experience for every client.
- Gives you something to write “on”
- Proves you are who you say you are.
- Other pet sitters don’t usually have it.
- Great way to show off in a professional way.
- Great tool to hold the papers you may leave behind with clients.
How Should You Create One?
There is no right and wrong way to create the brag book, you just want to make sure that when you create it, it can be duplicated for each staff member you have.
In fact, many companies like Shutterfly, Costco and Walgreens will all create impressive looking books. My suggestion, design one and then wait for them to go on sale.
Or if you prefer to do it yourself, go to your local office supply store and grab a 1/2 inch three ring binder with a plastic cover on the front. Also a packet of plastic cover sheets that have three hole punches on them. Next, print out your logo that takes up an entire page and slip this in the cover of your binder. This will now be your official brag book cover.
Inside…you can have whatever you want:
- Certificates of Membership (past and present) to national organizations.
- Awards or Recognitions your company has received
- A copy of your bonding, insurance, workman’s compensation.
- News clippings or articles you have written for local media.
- Highlights of certain services (Like a page that says DOG WALKING and a picture of you walking a dog with three bullet points of the benefits.)
- Pictures of your staff with pets (not just pets)
- Maybe a page to highlight something that is different about your pt sitting service? (Pet taxi, grocery shop, referral program)
The main idea is that you can o whatever you want with it. When you have staff it acts as a guide to make sure that every new client has the same experience or that the pet sitter doesn’t forget to tell them something.
These brag books are also highly effective to have on your booth during a event or while meeting with other business owners such as veterinarians.
So now, I want to hear from you!
Do you have a brag book? What is in yours? Are you thinking about getting one? What will you put in there? Do you think they are effective or ineffective?