One of the biggest challenges marketers (that’s you!) face is getting their community to know about their pet sitting business.
We don’t need the entire world to know about our services, just a saturation of those geographically the closest to us. We need to get them so excited that they are the top of the mind when the need arises for themselves or their loved ones.
I specifically say excited because being known typically means that you have a certain emotion that is being evoked, which means people might not always remember exactly what you do, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
This is the secret sauce.
But how exactly can we become known to our community beyond the usual posting on Facebook, having a blog, a website, Instagram, and shaking hands and meeting other pet business professionals in the area?
This phenomenon is what is your brand saying about you when you are not there? Do you know? Or, not saying anything because people don’t know you can be just as bad.
What Do You Want To Be Known For?
Getting known has to do with getting clear on what you want to be known for. What makes your business unique? There are hundreds of businesses in your area that take care of pets and there are a lot of friends and family that can do it, too.
So, what really makes your business unique and different?
Often times this isn’t the facts or what you do, but it is the how you do it all that matters. That leaves the feeling that gets people talking.
Answering this question will be the key to your success.
Your Unique Competitive Advantage
If your brain is coming up blank I want you to take a minute and listen to this podcast episode when I had Jennifer Diepstraten on. She talked about quantum benefits and it was really enlightening to see how our businesses really were different.
I want you to try to think of 3 – 5 things that your competitors can’t say that you can.
Use these questions below to help you fill in the blanks:
Are you memorable for your:
- Cost (high or low)?
Use this in all your marketing.
Talk about it at events. Make it apart of your unique story that no one else can tell. Mark Schafer is really good at this. He is the author of KNOWN — The handbook for building and unleashing your personal brand in the digital age.
He presented in the Mastermind and really pushed our beliefs on how exactly we were accomplishing this in our own marketing…
How we were going to stand out and actually hold space for the pet parents in our community to actually belong.
Check this out:
Pretty powerful, right?
That is the type of goodness we have in the Mastermind.
It was really eye-opening as to how to stop doing the same things that everyone else does and start doing the unique things in our own business marketing.
So How Can We Stand Out On Social Media To Be Known In Our Community?
This is the million-dollar question, isn’t it?
I mean we know that 68% of Americans use Facebook. Oddly enough the same exact percentage also have pets according to the 2017-2018 National Pet Owners Survey
(Side note…I thought that was crazy that they are BOTH 68% when I was writing this article too! LOL)
There is no doubting the fact that our clients are on Facebook. Instagram is close behind. They are the sister to Facebook and growing just as fast.
Did you know that over 70% of users are under 35 years of age? Do you also realize that the buying power of this segment is major with many waiting until much later in life to start a two-legged family so they are able to pour a lot of their discretionary income into their four-legged loved ones?
We have to know the latest trends in social media.
We have to know how to connect with others, but we also have to know how to get them to:
- Reshare content
- Spread it virally in their local community
Even though likes are going away on Instagram, (did you know that?) we can still show the social proof of the engagement of the people who actually stop their scroll long enough because they find us interesting or relevant enough to interact and respond to our posts.
The Value Of Being A Resource In Your Community
Do you want to be a drive-by or a destination in your community for the best pet sitting business?
Imagine being the first thought of pet resource in your community. I am talking about getting all the calls from people saying things like…
“I need something for my pet — I know you don’t provide it, but I thought you would know.”
This basically means they are thinking of you as the thought leader or expert in your town.
This is powerful.
This is top-of-the-mind awareness. But if you have no unique presence, no professional presence online…
Then this is going to be pretty hard to accomplish.
We need to stand out on social media by having professional graphics, captivating captions, and reactive engagement with our communities.
Here is Exactly What You Can Be Posting Every Month To Be Known (And Shared) In Your Communities:
Here are my thoughts on ways to be seen in your local community:
- Facebook Lives and Blogs: Write two blogs that are meaningful and follow them up with a Facebook live (record the video to embed in the blog post)
- Professional Graphics: Post at least 8-10 professionally made graphics with an interesting description that reflect your branding, logo, and colors. The graphic is there to capture attention and the copy is there to engage the reader.
- Videos: Once a week, create a square video for Instagram and be sure to convert it to vertical for Facebook to have the most visibility across platforms. Be sure to keep it to a good time limit and not to overpower the message as an advertisement.
- Facebook Video Cover: To give an impression that you keep up with your marketing, are trustworthy, and are up to date on all the new things, impress your viewers with a new Facebook video cover each month highlighting something relevant to the time of year.
- Email Marketing: Since Rover is sending emails out weekly, I highly suggest that you do yours at least twice a week. Make it about your clients, be relevant, use minimal design elements. The sole purpose of this is to elevate you as a thought leader. Even if they don’t open it.
- Instagram and Facebook Stories: The viewership of these two platforms is growing exponentially. Creating stories in real-time WITH professionally produced graphics that link together for a common message is powerful and underutilized. Not to mention, very much reusable as you build an arsenal.
- Thought Leaders: Follow social media thought leaders like Mari Smith, the Queen of Facebook, and Jenn Herman, the world’s forefront blogger and author on Instagram to stay in the loop. They’re both my friends. 🙂 Follow them. Read every update.
If you do all of this, you will be well ahead of your competition and other pet-sitting businesses in your area.
You will be perceived as a thought leader, someone who is on top of it all, and someone they can trust.
You will want to connect with other key influencers in your area and prompt them to share your hard work so you can be helpful to them and their brand, their communities, and of course expand your own.
If any of this seems overwhelming, you can actually get all that is listed above and more for the lowest price ever offered via Better Marketing with Bella.
Join us for a six-month contract to get all the graphics, captions, square videos, cover videos, vertical videos, blog/video outlines, emails, individual and group coaching calls, and more.