Teresa Murphey is the founder and President of Hire Ventures, Inc. She loves to help simplify all things HR so that business owners can focus on what they do best! As she says, “I started Hire Ventures in 2001 because I saw a need that so many small growing companies had in terms of hiring and managing their people, but these companies didn’t necessarily need a full-time HR person on staff.”
Hire Ventures started in the high tech, high growth recruiting consulting space but has evolved over the years to cover all things HR & Recruiting. They love working with small businesses that are passion and purpose driven in what they do.
Teresa is originally from Montana, but now she lives in Atlanta with her husband and her two daughters (sadly, her 13.5-year-old hound dog passed away in January).
Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want To Miss:
- What makes millennials different? It’s a huge generation and millennials are basically the children of the baby boomers and grew up with technology. They have new traits that revolve around that technology. Often millennials are good at multitasking, but they tend to be a little impatient.
- How does the tech make them different? Human nature makes each generation different. However, millennials grew up with technology and that definitely sets them apart. This generation is more connected socially and grew up with more instant gratification.
- Why is it crucial to have set steps for hiring process as a small business owner? A bad hire can distract the entire workplace and lower morale. If you have a streamlined recruiting process then you can often evade those issues. You don’t have to have the exact same questions, but a framework for pre-screening is imperative. Then, you can decide to meet with the person to finalize their eligibility.
- Should you let them access your social media? Yes! Include them and make them feel like a bigger part of your business. They will engage on a level that connects with them. More that that, it can help you if you’re not as comfortable with Facebook live or social media sharing. When people see employees that are happily engaged with the social media presence, then possible employees and clients will get a better idea of how awesome of a company you have.
- What is a millennial? [1:50] Born early 80’s and early 2000’s and they can range in age anywhere from 14-37, quite a big range. For the most part, they grew up with technology that increased every year.
- How is it different when you are recruiting a millennial? [5:30] If you have a strong recruiting process, then you’ll be effective no matter what you do. However, millennials don’t like to wait and like to know immediately if they have the job and that’s why you see a lot more applicants and faster turnover in letting prospective employees. They want to know right away if they have a chance for this position before moving on to the next.
- What can you do to help keep the newer generation happy in the workplace? [10:00] They are much more socially connected and they like to have a purpose and feel important. The need for attention can be seen as a negative, but it isn’t always that way. It can open up ways of communication. Millennials have grown up in a time where they want to be a part of something “bigger than themselves.”
- Motivating your staff [13:40] If we relate ourselves to the millennials, needing to be tech savvy and having constant feedback or recognition. It doesn’t have to be money, it can be little things like appreciation activities. It can be as small as a monthly lunch or awards for different things.
- Applicant Tracking Program [17:00] This helps you find your employment brand. You can easily implement them to help create a careers page for you and brings tons of benefits.
- Some resources that you could use [21:00] We don’t like to sell things on our podcasts, but here are some really great resources that you need to check out.
[Tweet ““The millennial generation is a huge generation.””]
[Tweet ““I think the millennials get a bad rep sometimes…because people don’t understand them.””]
[Tweet ““You either can complain or you can learn and do something about it. Those are your two options.””]
[Tweet ““If you hire the right person the rest of that employment relationship is smooth sailing.””]
Check out the blog at https://hireventures.com/2018/02/07/how-not-to-hire-a-millennial/
Share The Show:
Did you enjoy the show? We would love it if you subscribed today and left us a 5-star review!
- Click this link – Bella In Your Business
- Click on the ‘Subscribe’ button below the artwork
- Go to the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ section
- Click on ‘Write a Review