When we put a hiring ad out there, it doesn’t matter if you get 100-200 applications, if only 1-2 are actually qualified. At the end of the day, that’s just a waste of your time. It’s equally as bad if you publish a hiring ad, and nobody responds. Not one person – yikes!
Let’s solve both of those problems together, today.
How can we make our hiring ads stand out?
When you post a hiring ad, you’re in competition with every other company out there that’s hiring.
That’s why it’s really important to make ourselves stand out among the crowd.
- Target personalities. By this I mean, speak the language of the type of person you’re trying to hire! If you have a fun, upbeat company, make your hiring ad fun & upbeat! We want to be mindful of how we can connect with our candidates. The best way to do that is to simply make your job sound FUN! As we get to work with pets, this should be pretty easy 🙂
Make your company culture shine through in your hiring ad!
- Readability. At the end of the day, we’re looking to capture people that love animals, are reliable, and can care for our clients. Stay away from making your hiring ad difficult to read or making it too technical/rigid. There’s A LOT of job posts out there that are like that – so this is the perfect way to make yours shine through! Stay away from long paragraphs, and gravitate more towards bullet points
Our natural inclination is to skim things, so you want to make your ad:
- Quick & easy to read
- Show quick bursts of relevant information
- Easily highlight the perks of working for you
- Have your personality shine through
See what I did there? 🙂
Staying Competitive in the Hiring Process?
Think about this for a moment.
You are posting jobs, but guess what?
So is everybody else.
The reality is, there’s only a finite number of quality people. So we want to make sure that they want to choose YOU over the competition 🙂
We can do this by emphasizing the perks of being a pet sitter or dog walkers such as the freedom, flexibility, and lifestyle.
And, hello?!?! Getting to spend time with adorable animals each day!?
Another “hiring hack” to consider implementing is a referral system. What’s better than letting people you trust recruit FOR you? You can provide meaningful incentives to always have that process running in the background for you.
Even just one employee can generate a substantial amount of revenue for your company. Have you ever stopped to think just how much revenue one employee can help you generate?
You also want to pay close attention to your analytics. With streamlined hiring software like JazzHR, you can actually see how many people are seeing/viewing your ads but not applying.
Hint, hint – that means it’s time to take a closer look at your job description and pinpoint why people aren’t applying.
The bottom line? Use the data to your advantage to see where your audience is finding you. You don’t have to go at this alone. I always say that the two problems a pet business owner has is 1) getting clients and 2) getting staff. By implementing helpful tools, systems, and processes, we can get you one step closer to solving those problems for good.