Holly Cook, author of My End of the Leash
In this episode of “Bella In Your Business”, Bella speaks with Holly Cook, author of My End of the Leash: Compassion Fatigue From a Pet Sitter’s Perspective.
She started pet sitting in 1994, and won the Pet Sitters International, Pet Sitter of the Year award in 2004; She has been serving the pet sitting industry by becoming a state Ambassador for PSI in 2005. She has also authored several articles presented at many pet sitting conferences. She has developed donation drives for communities devastated by disaster (From Missouri floods in 1993, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina to Hurricane Sandy.).
Holly also became a certified Compassion Fatigue Educator through the University of Tennessee School Of Veterinary Social Work in 2016. To say she is an advocate for the pets and the people who care for them is an understatement.
Bella and Holly discuss what compassion fatigue is and how it differs from “burn out” Holly discloses traits common among those susceptible to compassion fatigue including:
- Being a highly dedicated professional
- Always expecting positive feedback about work
- High demand for personal competence
- A personal history of exhaustion
- A large workload
- Lack of trauma training
- Identification with those in their care
- Those is a non-supportive work environment or unsupportive friends and family
Holly then details some of the symptoms of compassion fatigue:
- Bone-tired exhaustion
- Persistent physical ailments
- Over exaggerated startle reflex
- Abnormal anger
- Rumination or excessive thoughts about an incident
- Nightmares and flashbacks
- Difficulty concentrating and forgetfulness
- Tendency to isolate from other people
- Inability to make a decision
- Intrusive imagery
- Reduced ability to feel sympathy or empathy toward other people or animals
- Denial of any of the above symptoms
Grab her book here: My End of the Leash: Compassion Fatigue From a Pet Sitter’s Perspective
If you feel like this might be you, Holly encourages you to take the quiz on her website
Learn more about Holly and her book in a previous article we wrote back in June when her book originally came out.
Subscribe To The Show:
Listen To The Show:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 19:58 — 15.0MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email |