Here’s Why Your 2020 Pet Business Goals Are Probably Dead By Now
Did you know that studies show approximately 80% of New Years Resolutions fail by the second week of February? If you’re reading this right now, chances are that you are not keeping up with your pet business goals each and every day – am I right?
Don’t worry, because I am here to get you back on track 🙂
Maybe you aren’t sure why your resolutions died a quick death. Here’s a few things to consider:
- Did you plan not to fail?
- Did you set your goals?
- How are you doing with your goals?
Today we’ll discuss a few of my surefire strategies for goal planning to keep the momentum up and the creative juices flowing.
Before you can properly execute goals, it’s important to understand what goals are. So what are goals? The pet business goals we like to talk about in the Mastermind are SMART Goals.
S – Specific: It’s important to be specific about the goal that you want to accomplish. Think about this step as a sort of “mission statement” for your goal and should include the 5 W’s – who, what, when, where, and why?
M – Measurable: Next, think about what metrics you are going to use to determine whether or not you’re on track for your goal. This makes your goal tangible since you’ll have a way to properly measure your progress.
A – Attainable: Now, think about how important your goal is to you and what you need in order to make it achievable. Perhaps you need a specific tool or skill – how are you going to obtain that to achieve your goal?
R – Relevant: Life moves fast as a business owner, so we want to make sure that we are setting goals that are in alignment with your broad business goals. In short, don’t waste your time on something that is not going to help you get where you want to go.
T – Timely: This is perhaps one of the most important steps. Anybody can set a goal, but a goal without realistic timing is nothing more than a wish. Set reasonable, specific deadlines and hold yourself to them!
When setting your pet business goals, what is the timeframe you set for yourself for achieving them? Are they 1-year, 5-year, or 10-year goals?
Now think about this – what were your goals last year? Do you remember specifically? Did you achieve them? Did you think about them every day? Did you write them down?
The timeframe that I really like to help people focus on is 90-day goals. In fact, research shows that our brains just simply cannot absorb long-term, multi-year goals. They are too complex, overwhelming, and lack instant gratification.
90-day goals allow us to achieve a sense of instant gratification and allow us to celebrate small wins. It’s a short enough amount of time to comprehend your goals, and you can even break them down further into 30-day and 60-day goals. These timeframes are more achievable and lead to greater success.
Plus, don’t forget to celebrate your wins! Celebrating is immensely important but is often forgotten.
Why Did You Fail?
No accountability. If your goals are a secret, it’s tough to hold yourself accountable. People need to know about your pet business goals (i.e. friends, family, etc.) so they can help support and encourage you.
Not clearly defined. A goal like ” I want more balance in my life” or “I want to be healthier” is too broad. What do those things mean? You want to break your goal down to an attainable, step-by-step plan. It’s really hard to achieve a goal if not properly defined.
Too Tired/Stressed/Not Enough Time. Most of us are overworked, anxiety-ridden, and maybe even depressed due to having no direction in life. Maybe you have trouble even falling asleep. Is that why you failed? Because you were tired or stressed? Stress and anxiety come from not being decisive.
Uncommitted. Writing a goal down or having a visual cue is an important and necessary first step. But it’s just that – a first step. Maybe you had your goal written down on the door or mirror, but you weren’t committed every day. Maybe you walked by your goal each day and thought, “Someday I’ll do that.” Remember this: someday will never come!
Be A Winner
- Post Your Goal. You need to be able to see your goal every day. This can be done through a vision board, sign, sticky note, etc. Post it somewhere visible like your closet or bathroom.
- Tell Somebody. Goals shouldn’t be secrets! You need to tell the important people in your life such as your friends and family about your goals so they can hold you accountable. Maybe you will post your goal on Facebook so it can remind you in a year? Or maybe you have an accountability partner or best friend to help keep you on track?
- Be Intentional. How are you making decisions with your goals in mind? When you squeeze out an extra 30 minutes in your day, are you falling back on your goals? Are your goals the backbone of your day?
Jessica joined the Jump Mastermind after being on the fence about trying to get her pet sitting business off the ground and working a part-time job. She joined the Mastermind and made the jump. Cut her part-time job down to about 5-10 hours a week.
She made her 90-day goals and all of a sudden we just kept seeing DONE, DONE, DONE, DONE written on there. She now has a complete client retention plan, key performance indicator sheets…. and wait, let me just show you. Her current goals include:
Focus Words for 2020 = Growth, Consistency, Control
Super Big Goals for 2020:
1. $150,000 in revenue with a 35% profit with me being in field less than 5% of the time (~27 visits a month). I will do this to match my previous, full time Chemistry income.
–> This will be done by focusing on getting 3-4 regular dog walking or puppy program (5X a week clients) in each of our servicing towns. Pet sitting and irregulars can supplement this goal as dailies sometimes take breaks for holidays, life changes, etc.
2. Be confident and proud of our employee and customer experience programs measured by employee retention of at least 1 year (unsure how to measure customer experience program success – Bella help?)
3. Ability to work on the weekends at my leisure by hiring a weekend manager. I will do this so I can spend more time with my family, friends and significant other without worrying or feeling guilty. I will also have the option TO work if I’d like to.
There are more, but I am going to stop there.
This girl is on FIRE!
I see this all of the time. I can peg with a 99% accuracy who will do well in the Mastermind and take off flying. All we need is a little community, encouragement, and accountability.
So listen to me… please.
If you want to get crystal clear. If you want to take your business where YOU want it to go. If you want to have time and monetary freedom in life… and you aren’t getting it right now, it might be a good time to stop doing what you are currently doing and try something new.
I would love to help you.