I have a loaded question for you. Are you ready for it? Okay, here it goes….do you have a marketing plan? Not a couple notes scribbled on a paper. No, a real, true marketing plan.
Chances are you probably don’t.
It seems that, all too often, that’s the one thing that people don’t do when they are strapped for time when it should be the top priority.
I’m just as guilty as you are in this. But, after years of stress and chaos, trying to get everything done at the last minute, I realized that I was making a HUGE mistake. I could be saving a TON of time and energy and be living a MUCH happier life if I just did one “simple” thing– create a marketing plan!
So, what is a marketing plan?
It’s essentially a map of what you plan to do in terms of marketing- promoting your services. Usually, this “map” goes out a long way- at the minimum, a few months. I prefer to take the time to plan out a whole year- it’s incredibly worth it!
Why is it important to have a plan?
Like I said before, it’s amazing how many business owners scrap marketing when time (or the budget) gets low. This is the complete opposite of what you should be doing. Marketing is the key to a successful business. Having a marketing plan- even more important.
In a marketing plan, everything from goals to the budget is included. You can get as detailed as you want. I recommend to be very detailed- the more detailed, the less stress, in my opinion! If you plan on spending $200 in Facebook ads throughout the year, that’s written down. If you want to spend $300 in client gifts, there’s a note of that. Documenting the amount you want to spend on each promotion eliminates stress ten-fold. You know at the very beginning of the time frame exactly how much money and time you’re going to spend on your marketing efforts.
Do you realize that if you knew all of that ahead of time, you can spend your time focusing on actually implementing the strategies you swore you were going to implement last year!
What problems does the average business owner have with a marketing plan?
So, why exactly does marketing, one of the most important aspects of business ownership, get pushed to the back burner so often? I was once there. But, now that I’ve focused on putting marketing first, I couldn’t even imagine not doing so! It seems like such an obvious decision- cut marketing LAST- and only if you have to. The funny thing though is that, usually, people know they need a plan- they just don’t know how. There are a few common “excuses” I hear over and over.
- I don’t know how. It’s too complicated. You don’t need to be a marketing expert to write a plan. Really. It’s only as difficult as you make it.
- I don’t have the time.
Seriously? This is a really bad excuse. If you want to have a successful business, you need to MAKE time.
- I don’t really know what to plan.
This is where I have some really good news for you. If you are confused on what or when to plan, I’m going to help you with my brand new Pet Sitter Marketing Class! (more details later on)
How do you overcome these problems?
By now, you understand that you do need a marketing plan (I hope), but you still may be stuck on how to get it done. Maybe you’re the one that just doesn’t know where to start- or maybe you don’t have the time. Here are 5 tricks to help you overcome it and get your marketing planning-plans in full swing!
- Figure out the basics first. You don’t have to jump in headfirst without knowing what you’re doing. That’s how you get overwhelmed. And we don’t want that. Think about your goals. Where do you want to see your business in 2 months, 6 months, a year?
- Start small. You don’t HAVE to start with a 1 year plan off the bat (although that should be your main goal). You can start small, with a monthly plan, so you can get a feel of how it all works.
- Ask for help. It’s totally okay to ask for help. Sometimes, you need it! Talk to fellow business owners that are in the same niche as you and see what they do, what strategies they implement and how they set up their plan.
- Stay organized. The last thing you want to do is start your plan and have it get so out of hand that you lose control over it. Keeping things organized will help create a successful plan.
- Take my class. Yep, that’s right- I can help you, too! I have a downloadable marketing class to help YOU become a marketing plan mastermind!
Have I convinced you of the importance of creating a marketing plan yet? I hope so. And, I hope you’ll download my marketing class that’s sure to change your life. If you do everything that I show you, there is no reason why it won’t be the sole reason why your business generates over tens of thousands of dollars in revenue next year….. Make today the day that you change your business for the better!
Don’t miss out- download the class here!