When I asked the question: Do you use a client management system for your businesses? to a group of sole proprietors it amazed me that more aren’t using these systems.
I remember when I was just running my pet sitting business all by my lonesome and I had papers everywhere, and calls coming in with requests, schedule changes, update to pets info, and last minute reassurance calls. Not to mention the ones that I would call every weekend to “confirm” their services.
I felt an intense need to answer the phone every time it rang and felt like I had a huge cloud over my head until all calls were called back.
As a sole proprietor, I needed the business. It was just me. I didn’t want the callers calling down the list of pet sitting names they found online or in the phone book and booking services with anyone else other than ME!
When I was done running my “rounds” I would come home and do office work when I was supposed to be eating and resting before the next time I had to run out. Which, by the way, totally stunk because I had no downtime.
I wish someone told me to get the client management system!
But wait – I was scared. I didn’t think I could afford it. There was too much to learn. I had so many other things I needed to do. And then soon, another avalanche of worry past over me and I just stayed where I was. In fear.
Well, they say that hindsight is 20/20 so here is what I wished someone would have told ME.
You need to have systems!
Systems are crucial in your business and even if you are only bringing in 10K a year, you NEED to start now. While you are slow, while you have the time.
The purpose of systems in your business will help you avoid burn out in the end. When talking about the system of client management systems, I don’t care if you are using Power Pet Sitter, Leash Time, Pet Sit Click, Blue Wave, etc….
If you are building your business this software is going to streamline everything.
- No email clutter. Going through threads for info. It is all stored in one place.
- The client feels at ease, knowing that they can see all their info, notes, and know that things are confirmed.
- The systems track your trends. How many without these systems can tell me the percentage of dog walks v pet sits they are currently doing and how that compares to Last Year?
- In the same respect, we live in the INSTANT age. People want to sign up with your company NOW and ONLINE…. not wait for a call back or phone tag.
- Existing clients can book instantly online. You are making it easier for them to spend money with you. Lots of people don’t even want to talk on the phone. They want to text or email. This is giving them that option.
- I understand that some might feel like they are paying for nothing, but what you are doing is helping to build a back bone of systems for your company.
- Having a business is supposed to HELP your life. Not burry you underneath it. It makes it so that you spend LESS than an hour a day on invoicing, confirmations, scheduling, updating notes, and more.
- Doing this will help almost eliminate:
-Updating client notes
-Updating pet notes
-Loosing client files or papers
-Spending money on file folders, paper, ink, etc
-Calling for confirmations
-Appearing more professional to a client
-Not having to do the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, (ok you get it) again.
-Keeping up on holiday charges
-Track trends and allow you to email in less than 5 minutes people that booked last year at the same time!
What it all comes down to:
Everyone is entitled to do whatever they want and I do respect it. I am just trying to push your thoughts into a bigger picture where it gives you more time for LIFE. If you go back to what I believe as a business coach, I believe that your business should be there to SUPPORT you and your LIFE. You should have a life, and it should support you. You shouldn’t be buried underneath it all.
When you are a sole proprietor and doing all the work on your own, it is this time, now more than ever, that your time is precious to you. It is a LOT of work to run a business and work in it.
Now it is your turn…. tell me if you have a client management system and if you like it. Tell me if you are a sole proprietor and think I am off my rocker crazy silly for writing all of this….
Let me know! Sound off below! 🙂
(PS – I do not get paid to say any of this!)